Newspaper and Journal Articles
- When searching for articles on a particular business topic or a specific company, ABI/Inform Global R is an excellent starting point. This full text database, coverage of of academic journals, contains 1,000 business journals and periodicals. It also includes popular business titles like Black Enterprise, Business Week, Forbes, and Fortune. See also Indexes/Abstracts, Articles--Business
SIC Codes/Industry Classifications
- NAICS -- North American Industry Classification System
- 1997 NAICS and 1987 SIC Correspondence Tables
- U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President. STANDARD INDUSTRIAL CLASSIFICATION MANUAL. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1987. In Corporate Area.
- North American Industry Classification System: United States, 1997/Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget. Washington, DC: Executive Office of the President : Office of Management and Budget: G.P.O., [1998?] In Corporate Area.
Company Annual Reports
Current News About a Company
Company and Industry Beta
Financial and Operating and Ratios for Company and Industries --
Printed Sources for Financial and Operating and Ratios for Company and Industries
- Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios. Prentice-Hall, published annually. Ref HF5681 R25 A44--Financial and operating ratios are listed for both manufacturing and non-manufacturing industries.
- Financial Studies of the Small Business. Financial Research Associates, published annually. Ref. HD 2346 U5 F56--Arranged by asset size and establishment type; financial and operating ratios are provided for about 50 lines of small business and manufacturing.
- Industry Norms and Key Business Ratios. Dun & Bradstreet Information Services, published annually. On Reserve-- Financial ratios are displayed for over 800 lines of business.
- RMA Annual Statement Studies. Robert Morris Associates, published annually. On Reserve--Financial and operating ratios for more than 400 lines of business whose total assets are less than $250 million.
- Standard & Poor's Analysts' Handbook. Standard & Poor's, updated quarterly. On Reserve--Selected income, accounting and balance sheet items, and ratios as applied to over 100 industrial, transportation, utilities, and financial group stock prices.
Associations and Organizations
- National Trade and Professional Associations of the United States. Washington D.C.: Columbia Books, Inc. Ref HD 2425 D53.--Includes national trade associations, professional scientific or technical societies, labor unions and other national organizations.
- Yearbook of International Organizations. Brussels Union of the International Associations. (weekly). Ref JX 1904 A42.
Provides coverage for international organizations of all types, usually giving for each: year founded, aim structure, top officers, consultative status, activities, events, publications, and much more.
- Small Business Sourcebook. Detroit MI: Gale Research Co. (annual) Location: Corporate Area.
Encompasses the U.S. and Canada, with expanded geographic coverage for resources pertaining to international trade, or for resources that have a U.S. or Canada distributor or contact. In Corporate Area.
Interviews: CEOs/ Corporate Executives
- Wall Street Transcript. Weekly--Consists of interviews of Wall Street professionals and corporate leaders. Each issue includes "Sector Roundtables" - analysts giving reviews of the stocks of industry sectors. "Money Manager Interviews" which discuss professional investment strategies and advice. "CEO Interviews" - CEOs discuss their companies' markets and competitors.
- Begin the search with Standard & Poor's Industry Surveys. NY: Standard & Poor's Corp. (quarterly). Location: Latest quarter on Reserve, earlier editions, REF HC 106.6 S74.
- ValueLine Investment Survey. NY : Value Line, Inc. (loose-leaf). Location: Reserve-- investment service analyses and reports companies and industries. The statistics chart, and brief explanatory text are reviewed and updated, industry by industry. on a rotating basis so that the information on each company in every industry is revised quarterly.
- U.S. Bureau of Industrial Economics, Department of Commerce. U.S. Industrial Outlook. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office (Annual). Location: Latest edition on Reserve, earlier editions REF HC 101 U54. See also Industry Research.