Visibility and Targeted Relationship Management is Key
Howard students are exposed to many excellent organizations throughout the year. Many of our employer partners assertively pursue and have established an ongoing relationship with students, faculty and staff through direct and personal participation in career development activities on campus.
Some Best Practices We Recommend:
- Establish a well coordinated internal effort with all participating recruiters and corporate units within your organization. We recommend having one primary contact person who is aware of all of your corporate efforts at Howard University.
- Conduct meetings with all key Howard stakeholders to review partnership strategies, and expectations.
- Participate in career fairs, career week activities, networking receptions, and relevant campus activities.
- Provide posters advertising positions and activities sponsored by your organization on campus. Advertise your career and internship opportunities through our office and our partnership with NACELink
- Provide scholarships opportunities to targeted student populations.
- Sponsor visible career development initiatives, activities, and job search tools. All sponsored efforts are clearly identified to recognize your support.
- Establish a designated student liaison with targeted student organizations.
- Invite students to your corporate offices for an orientation of your organization, dialogue with current staff.
- Facilitate career and professional development training to increase visibility and develop relationships with targeted student populations.
- Send an informational binder outlining career opportunities in your organization. We will house this binder in our Career Resources Library for student review.
- We also recommend DVDs and/or CDs which can be viewed in our Career Resources Library.
- Advertise in campus publications like the Bison Career Guide, Hilltop Newspaper, and Community News. The Hilltop (202) 806-6866, The Community News (202)806-5511. Call the CEDAR Center for information on advertising in the Bison Career Guide - (202) 806.7513 or email us at email@example.com.
- Sponsor student participation at conferences and other professional development events of their interest.
- Invite targeted student organizations to participate in "experiential projects" to review and provide solutions to "real" organizational issues.
- Link/advertise your organization to our Bison Careers Online Website.
- Write career development articles for our Bison Career Online or send us video clips sharing tips on how to prepare for a career with your company.
- Sponsor day trips, and shadowing activities that allow interested students to experience a day in the life of an employee of your company/organization.
- Participate in our new campus-wide Adopt-A-Team Program. For information, contact Mrs. Jozanne Douglas, Career Specialist at 202-806-7514 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope that this list will give you some ideas on strategies to develop your partnership with our office. If you have any questions or would like to discuss partnership strategies for your organization email us at email@example.com.