The College of Engineering, Architecture and Computer Sciences was created by the August 1997 merger of the School of Architecture and Planning and the School of Engineering. In the course of the merger, the names of the schools were changed to the School of Architecture and Design and the School of Engineering and Computer Sciences.
The undergraduate programs in both schools were instituted in the early 1900s, with the exception of chemical engineering and the computer science programs, which were inaugurated in the 1970-1980 era. It was during the period of 1907-1910 that the two-year programs in architecture, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering were introduced into the curriculum of the School of Manual Arts and Applied Sciences. By 1911, a four-year curriculum leading to the bachelor's degree was established and a separate building was constructed and equipped to house the School. Eight years later, the School of Manuel Arts and Applied Sciences was reorganized into the College of Applied Sciences, which included under its umbrella the departments of architecture, engineering, art and home economics. In 1934, the School of Engineering and Architecture was established as a separate unit of the University--appropriate to the recognition of distinct and important role of engineering and architecture professions. In 1970, the School of Engineering and Architecture was divided into two schools--the School of Engineering and the School of Architecture and City Planning. Thus, after 27 years, the programs of both Schools were reunited under one organizational umbrella on 1997.
Traditionally, the College has been dedicated to educating well-qualified engineering and architecture graduates who have assumed productive roles--often of national and international prominence--in industry, government, academia and the professions.