F-1 Students: Bringing F-2 Dependents

F-2 Request Form

To bring your spouse or child(ren) to the United States, F-1 students need to obtain a new Form I-20 for them to apply for F-2 visas at the US embassy or consulate overseas. F-2 visas are only for immediate family members (spouse and children). In order for the International Students and Scholars Office to issue the I-20 for your family, you must show financial support for each accompanying family member for the expected time necessary to complete the degree. For those who need more than three years to complete your degree program, you need to provide evidence of financial support for at least three years.

Minimum required support for one year:

$10,221 for husband or wife
$5,534 per child
$3,300 for each additional child

Proof of funding (depending on the source) may either be a recent bank statement (letter from bank with record of your account), letter from your academic department, or a letter from your sponsor.

All family members should be covered by medical insurance while they are here in the United States.

Once ISS has all the required documentation, it will take us 3 to 5 working days to process the I-20.

Please download and fill out the form or print the following form and fill out.

F-2 Request Form