F-1 Student Program I-20 Extension

Download F-1 I-20 extension application here.

Apply BEFORE the end date of your I-20

In order to complete your studies at Howard, and maintain your legal status in the US you must apply for a program extension if your I-20 Form is about to expire. Please check item #5 on your current I-20. You must apply for an extension 30 days before your I-20 expires. Failure to do so could jeopardize your legal status in the US, interrupt your study, and have other serious legal consequences.

Procedure for obtaining a program extension:

You may download the F-1 extension application from this site or pick it up at ISS.

To prepare the application, you need to:

  1. Ask your academic adviser to complete the recommendation form.

  2. Obtain proof of your financial support for the entire period of your extension (an award letter, Howard assistantship letter, bank statement, or sponsor letter). You must show that you have sufficient funding to cover the expenses for the entire period of the extension as listed in the F-1 extension application packet. We cannot accept less than the amounts shown.

  3. If you are a NON-DEGREE graduate student, you will also need to obtain the signature of your Graduate Student Services Representative in the graduate school.
  4. Bring the completed application to ISS and sign in to speak with the Advisor on Duty. (Do not drop off the forms: speak with an advisor to be sure the extension is processed in time):
    - Proof of financial support
    - Completed Academic Advisor form
  5. Allow one week for ISS to produce your extended I-20.
  6. ISS advisor will let you know by email when you can pick up your new I-20.
  7. If you work on campus, your I-9 Employment Eligibility form will need to be updated in your department.

PLEASE NOTE: This procedure will extend your I-20 but not your visa stamp. If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, it is ok to remain in the U.S. but the next time you travel out of the U.S. and need to re-enter, you will still need to apply for a new visa stamp to re-enter the U.S.