As a component of the
Howard University Library System, the
Divinity Library supports the teaching and
research needs of the School of Divinity and
the Howard University community.
The Library of the School of Divinity traces
its history to the founding of Howard
University. Howard was established originally
for the purpose of training "colored preachers
Originally located in Douglas Hall, the School
of Religion was relocated in the 1930's to the
Carnegie Building. The building allowed
considerable space for growth. In 1940, Dr Benjamin E.
Mays, Dean of
the School of Religion, purchased a portion of
the Auburn Seminary Library collection when
that seminary's library merged with the Union
Theological Seminary Library. This single
acquisition was a significant factor in the
school receiving its first accreditation.
In 1977, the School of Religion moved to 1240
Randolph Street, N.W., marking the inception
of the East Campus for Howard University.
Although the school had upgraded facilities,
there was insufficient space at that site. The
space obstacles were removed in 1987, with the
relocation of the School of Divinity to its
current location. The Divinity Library can now
fully realize Dr Mays' vision of a library
commensurate with the academic and research
interests of the school.