Manuscript Division Rules and Regulations
Although the resources of the MSRC have been developed primarily for
the use of Howard University faculty and students, all researchers are
welcome. Reproduction services are available, although some collections
are subject to restrictions concerning access and copying. While researchers
should consult staff concerning specific procedures regarding materials
under their care, these specific rules generally apply:
[Manuscript Division] [Home to Moorland-Spingarn] [Top of Page]
- Research is by APPOINTMENT ONLY. To make an appointment, please
phone (202) 806-7480.
- Researchers must register and present a photo identification to use
- All collections of the MSRC are maintained as research collections
and all materials must be used on the premises. NO MATERIALS CIRCULATE.
- Materials must be handled carefully and treated with respect. The use
of rare, fragile, or valuable items which are subject to damage may be
restricted or denied.
- The use of photographic and other reproduction equipment is prohibited.
- Eating, drinking, smoking, and excessive noise in the reading rooms
- Researchers must assume responsibility for securing specific permission
to publish materials for any purpose.
- Only modest amounts of materials will be considered for photoduplication
and copyrighted materials will not be reproduced beyond recognized "fair
- Researchers must assume all responsibility for copyright issues that
may arise from the use of copies.
- Researchers must indicate full bibliographic information when citing
Sample manuscript citation: Alain Locke Papers, Box 164-1, Folder 2, Manuscript
Division, Moorland-Spingarn Research Center, Howard University
- Guided tours of MSRC are by appointment only. LARGE GROUPS may be accommodated
by special arrangements in advance.