Session: The Transatlantic Slave Trade
& its Legacy
- Discuss the history and geography of the transatlantic slave trade.
- Describe the influence of African culture on the Americas.
- Utilize technology to illustrate the geography and history of the
transatlantic slave trade and its cultural legacies.
- Introductions of students and instructor(s). (10
- Using the Encarta software, discuss generally the history of the slave
trade from 1591 until 1807 when slaving was outlawed by Great Britain and the
U.S. (15 minutes)
- Ask students to work in pairs at the computer and complete a "Scavenger
Hunt" using Encarta software . (20 minutes)
- Review answers with the whole group. Ask students the following
questions (15 minutes):
- Was there anything you learned that surprised you?
- Was there anything you learned that relates to you or your family?
- How might this information change your view of the slave trade?