Note about remote access to restricted databases, designated by "R".
ScienceDirect (R) is the world's largest electronic collection of science, technology, and medicine full text bibliograhic information.
From the library homepage (www.howard.edu/library/)
- Click on Databases.
- Note the A-Z list is divided alphabetically, select Q-S.
- Scroll down and click on the title ScienceDirect.
To search for articles in this database, click on the Search button in the main navigation bar. Then select Journals and enter your search "Term" in the blank windows.
Use AND or OR to combine concepts, for example, (1) biofilm or biofouling. (2) membrane and water treatment
- "Within" ScienceDirect is automatically set to search in the "abstract, title, keyword" fields. You can change this and search by author, journal name, references, or full text.
- "Source" You may search a) all the journals in ScienceDirect, b) limit to the journals subscribed by Howard University Libraries, or c) your own favorite journals.
- "Subject" seaches "all Sciences" or select specific subject disciplines, i.e., chemistry, engineering, mathematics.
- "Dates" limit the dates of your search by selecting the date range.
- The "Articles Found List" will give the complete citation and indicate the format(s) available. These are: Abstract | Abstract + Reference | Summary Plus | Full Text + Links | PDF.
Articles available in Full Text or PDF volumes to which HUL subscribes may be viewed. If access is not availavle, check Sterling, the journal may be in paper or microfilm format.
- E-mailing citations or articles
- Click on the box in the front of the citation.
- When you have checked all the citations you want, scroll to the "Articles Found List" and click on the "display checked docs" button.
- To email the article you are viewing, click on "E-mail article" in the "Action" box to the right of the article's title.
- You can e-mail to yourself or others by following the instructions.