The focus of this guide is family and child welfare as a field of practice of social work.
It is an introduction to comprehensive and specialized sources on family and
child welfare which are in the Howard University Libraries, and specifically the Social Work Library.
Internet sources are also included. Check the Library's catalog STERLING under specific topics
for additional resources.
This area of study may include: Adoption, child neglect, child development, correctional measures, child abuse, child poverty, alcoholism, child psychology, sexual abuse, adolescents parents.
NOTE: Titles for which call numbers and location are not given are shelved in the Index/Abstract
Area in the Periodicals Unit of the Undergraduate Library. For Internet and CD-Rom files, the
location may be Social Work Library (SWL) or Founders Reference. Ask your Librarian for assistance.
- Assessment of family violence : a clinical and legal sourcebook. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley,
c1999. WA 33 AA1 A84 1999. in Health Sciences.
- Child Abuse and Neglect database. 1965-July 1995. CD-ROM. Baltimore, MD: National
Information Services Corp., c1995. in SWL
- Child development abstracts and bibliography. v.46,48-50 1972,1974-1976,1988-1989.
[Chicago, etc] : University of Chicago Press for the Society for Research in Child
- Child welfare training and practice : an annotated bibliography. Westport, CN : Greenwood Press,
c1982. Ref HV713 C3954 1982. in SWL.
- Page, Penny Booth, 1949-. Children of alcoholics : a sourcebook. New York : Garland Pub., 1991.
HV5132 .P33 1991. in SWL.
- Stanton, Greta W. Children of separation : an annotated bibliography for professionals. Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1994. HQ755.8 .S73 1994. in SWL.
- Berkson, Gershon. Children with handicaps : a review of behavioral research. Hillsdale,
NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1993. RJ506.D47 B47 1993 in Founders
- Schaefer, Charles E. Family therapy techniques for problem behaviors of children and
teenagers. 1st ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1984. RC488.5 S36 1984. in SWL.
- Helping children cope with death : guidelines and resources. 2nd ed. Washington : Hemisphere Publishing Corp., c1984. BF723 D3 H44 1984. in SWL.
- Sage family studies abstracts. v. 1- Feb. 1979- 1994. [Beverly Hills, CA] Sage Publications.
in SWL and University Library's Homepage EBSCOhost.
- Kinnear, Karen L. Childhood sexual abuse : a reference handbook. Santa Barbara,
CA:ABC-CLIO, c1995. HV6570 .K55 1995. in SWL.
- Children exposed to marital violence : theory, research, and applied issues.1st ed.
Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, c1998.
WS 105.5.F2 C5362 1998.in Health Sciences.
- Handbook of early childhood intervention. Cambridge [England] ; New York : Cambridge
University Press, 1990. WA 320 H2362 1990. in Health Sciences.
- Handbook of family measurement techniques. Newbury Park, CA : Sage, c1990.
REF HQ728 T68 1990. in SWL
- Hardin, Mark. How to work with your court : a guide for child welfare agency
administrators. Washington, DC : ABA Center on Children and the Law, c1993.
KF9780 .H37 1993. in SWL.
- Hoffman, Lois Norma Wladis, 1929-. Mothers at work : effects on children's
well-being. Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1999.
HQ759.48 .H63 1999. in Founders.
- Resource guidelines : improving court practice in child abuse & neglect cases.
Reno, Nev. : National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges, 1995.
REF KF9323 .R47 1995. in SWL
- Nuba, Hannah, 1924- Resources for early childhood : a handbook. New York:
Garland Pub., 1994. HQ767.9 .N8 1994. in Founders
- Children of color : research, health, and policy issues. New York : Garland Pub., 1999.
HV741 .C536155 1999. in SWL
- Handbook of child and adolescent assessment. Boston : Allyn and Bacon, c1993.
RJ50 .H36 1993. in Founders
- Handbook of clinical child psychology. 2nd ed. New York : Wiley & Sons, c1992.
WS 105 H2355 1992. in Health Sciences.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- The Dictionary of family psychology and family therapy. 2nd ed. Newbury Park, CA:
Sage Publications, c1993. REF WM 13 D5536 1993 in Health Sciences.
- Miermont, Jacques. A dictionary of family therapy . English ed. Cambridge, MA:
Blackwell Reference, 1995. REF RC488.5 .M5313 1995. in SWL.
- Encyclopedia of family life. Pasadena, Calif. : Salem Press, c1999.
REF HQ534 .E53 1999. in Founders. DiCanio, Margaret.
- The encyclopedia of marriage, divorce, and the family.
New York, NY: Facts on File, c1989. REF HQ9 D38 1989. in Founders.
- Broude, Gwen J. Marriage, family, and relationships : a cross-cultural encyclopedia.
Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c1994. REF GN480 .B76 1994. in SWL.
- American Correctional Association. Directory, juvenile & adult correctional departments,
institutions, agencies & paroling authorities. REF HV9463 .D572 1992- in SWL.
- National directory of children, youth & families services. Longmont, CO : Marion L.
Peterson. REF HV741 .N47 1992- in SWL.
- America's children : key national indicators of well-being. Washington, DC: The Forum, 1997.
HQ792.U5 A44 1997. in SWL.
- Every kid counts in the District of Columbia : ... annual fact book. Washington, DC:
DC Kids Count Collaborative, c1994- REF HQ792.D4 E93 in SWL Ginsberg, Leon H.
- Social work almanac. Washington, DC : NASW Press, c1995. HV90 .G53 1995 in SWL Reserves. Statistical handbook on adolescents in America. Phoenix, AZ : Oryx Press, 1996.
REF HQ796 .S8237 1996 in SWL.
- The state of America's children yearbook. Washington, DC : Children's Defense Fund,
c1994- REF HV741 .C5375 1994- in SWL.
- National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect
The National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect acquires, preserves and disseminates high
quality datasets relevant to the study of child abuse and neglect. The Archive facilitates secondary analysis by distributing data in ready-to-use formats for microcomputers and mainframes, providing
technical support to data users, and sponsoring training programs for researchers.
The website of Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics.
- Child Poverty News and Issues
From the National Center for Children In Poverty at Columbia University's Joseph L. Mailman
School of Public Health, this newsletter appears three times a year. Full text of current and back issues
is fully searchable.
- The Future of Children
A publication of the Center for the Future of Children is published three times a year by The
David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Los Altos, CA. Issues have included: adoption, health,
school finance and school-linked services, special education, sexual abuse, low birth weight,
early childhood program outcomes, juvenile court, welfare to work, and others. This site includes
links to the full text of the foundation's many journals that are available the web.
Agencies, Centers & Organizations
Bausell, R. Barker. Advanced Research Methodology: An Annotated Guide to Sources. Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1991.REF H62.B38 1991 in Founders.
An annotated bibliography covering research methods in the social sciences. Organized
topically with an author index at the back of the volume.
- Miller, Delbert C. Handbook of Research Design and Social Measurement. 5th ed.
Newbury Park, Calif. : Sage Publications, 1991. REF H62.M44 1991 in Founders
and Social Work.
- Resources for Methods in Evaluation and Social Research
This page lists free resources for methods in evaluation and social research. The focus is on
"how-to" do evaluation research and the methods used: surveys, focus groups, sampling,
interviews, and other methods.
Evaluating and Citing Sources