Extreme Makeover: L.K. Downing Hall
Named in honor of Lewis Downing who for 40 years (1924-1964) made significant contributions to the University’s engineering program, Lewis K. Downing Hall is home to Howard’s School of Engineering. Constructed in 1952, Downing is now undergoing an extreme makeover with technology and infrastructure upgrades that will create 21st Century classrooms and labs.
All areas of the building, including the lobby, hallways, faculty offices, restrooms, classrooms and laboratories in the building will be renovated and modifications will be made to bring the building into full compliance with the American Disabilities Act.
The renovation of Downing is a key part of Howard’s strategic Academic Renewal Plan to create a greater emphasis on STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) programs and departments. The project architect, Bryant Mitchell, PLLC, is also responsible for the interior design.