2014 Research Resources and Small Equipment Program
The Office of the Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Studies and the University Research Council announce a program to fund small equipment and research resources requested by faculty that will benefit multiple users and directly result in submissions of proposals for external funding from the department and its faculty. The maximum award amount is $50,000.
Announcement: Deadline: October 9, 2014
Faculty members from all departments across the University are eligible. Funding will be provided to the faculty member for the purchase of small equipment or research resources. Examples of eligible purchases include: scientific equipment, fabrication and/or prototyping machinery, autoclaves or kilns, specialized research or composition software, CNC devices. Items such as copiers, lap tops and desktop computers, expendable supplies, video conferencing, or equipment used primarily for instructional purposes rather than research, and other general office equipment are not eligible expenses.
In all cases, planned expenses must be used for research purposes by multiple faculty and students within the department. The estimated size of awards will not exceed $50,000. In addition, it should be noted that all expenses funded from this program are assumed to be one-time purchases, and the requesting department should submit with their application a plan for maintenance, upgrades, updates, or security, as necessary for its particular request, as well as a plan delineating who will have access to the equipment and how that access will be managed. These considerations will be integral to a decision as to whether to fund a given application.
Department faculty should submit an application to the Office of the Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Studies by Friday, October 9, 2014. Applications should be submitted to the Office of Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Studies via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The proposal should:
- Outline the nature of the items requested.
- Describe the types of research and the estimated number of students and faculty who will use the items.
- Delineate the deliverables and impact to be produced as a result of the equipment acquisition.
- Document the plans for external funding submission by individual users or groups of users whose research will benefit from the requested item(s).
- Include a management plan documenting how security, maintenance, service, or updates/upgrades will be handled (as appropriate).
- Faculty qualifications in support of the request.
- Include a plan that documents how access to the item or resource will be managed or scheduled.
- Provide two quotes unless the item is a single-source expenditure.
Faculty members receiving funds under this program must submit a final report and evidence of submission for externally sponsored grant support by departmental faculty members or groups by May 31, 2016. Final reports are limited to two pages. Failure to submit a final report and to submit an application to an external agency for sponsored research support will preclude future funding in other programs supported by the Office of the Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Studies.