The Room Selection and Verification Plan (RSVP), is a system designed to provide eligible students with a fair and equal opportunity to request their preferred space in one of the University’s residence halls.
You can also print this packet using the 2014-2015 downloadable PDF version.
Information contained in this packet is designed to answer questions pertaining to the Room Selection and Verification Plan (RSVP), and provide a step-by-step explanation of how the process works. Students are responsible for reading, understanding, and following important instructions, key dates and policies regarding the room selection process. Failure to comply with all outlined procedures will render you ineligible to participate in the RSVP. Incoming freshmen students do not participate in the RSVP. The University provides more than 1,500 designated spaces for incoming freshmen. Due to space constraints, the University will not be able to offer accommodations to all students requesting housing. Students who are recipients of the Presidential, Laureate, Founders, Capstone Scholarship or athletes who receive scholarships for housing DO NOT have to pay the $200.00 non-refundable advanced rent payment.
Students must be validated to participate in RSVP.
All undergraduate students seeking accommodations for the upcoming academic year must follow all procedures as outlined to enter the RSVP. Community Directors will provide all residents with all pertinent information regarding RSVP. Non-residents may obtain these materials from the Office of Residence Life during this period as well.
Students who select the BETHUNE ANNEX and COOK HALL in RSVP are required to purchase a meal plan as part of the Combined Room and Meal Plan program.
All students are reminded that housing charges reflect the type of room the student receives at check-in. Room rates vary based on room types, (e.g. single, double, air conditioned or non air conditioned.) Room rates and housing assignments are subject to change without notice.
Students who do not receive housing assignments through RSVP should seek off campus housing or participate in the Department of Residence Life Annual Off Campus Housing Fair held in the spring. Students should inquire regarding availability for fall campus housing during the summer. However, please note that this may not guarantee you a room assignment.
All students with housing assignments for the academic year MUST be validated prior to moving into the residence halls. (Keys will not be issued to non-validated students.) Students NOT validated will not be guaranteed housing or their assignments.
Be advised that renovations and/or other factors may require changes in student assignments even after tentative assignments have been made and confirmed.
I. General Information
A. Participants in the Room Selection and Verification Plan (RSVP)
1. Registered & Validated Spring undergraduate students are eligible to participate in the RSVP, except those against whom disciplinary actions have been imposed, that prevent housing as a sanction. (i.e. Academic, housing, etc.)
a. All validated undergraduate students must participate in the RSVP to attempt to secure housing for the Fall semester, this includes students who are participating in Domestic Exchange, Study Abroad or internships through their school or college.
b. Off campus students including Howard Plaza Towers East (Honors Housing) undergraduate residents are eligible for the Room Selection and Verification Plan.
2. Graduate and Professional students are NOT eligible to participate in the Room Selection and Verification Plan. Graduate and Professional students are given preference for accommodations in the residential section located in the Howard University School of Divinity – Mays Hall, Howard Plaza Towers East, Howard Manor, Effingham and Ellington. Graduate and Professional students will be housed in undergraduate residence halls, only if space is available after requests of undergraduate students have been met.
Graduate, Professional, and students with families seeking housing will be referred to Howard Plaza Towers East.
B. Fee Requirements, Payments and Refunds
- Students wishing to participate in RSVP are required to make a $200.00 non-refundable Advance Rent payment beginning in December for consideration for online selection for housing. All assignments made during the RSVP are tentative and will be confirmed with a signed Housing Agreement. Non-refundable Advanced Rent Payments may be made ONLINE by accessing BISON Web and selecting the Housing link, allowing you to pay by credit card. You may also pay at the University Cashier’s Office in the Administration Building, Monday through Friday, between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm. Payment must be made in the form of cash, credit card, certified check, money order, or student account transfer (if there is a credit balance on the student’s account.
- Students who do not sign a Residence Hall Agreement will have their tentative assignment CANCELLED.
Certified Checks and Money Orders (no personal checks) MUST be made payable to Howard University and must bear the student’s name, Social Security number, and Student ID number. This payment will be credited to the Fall Semester’s student account if the student checks into University housing.
A credit balance on a student account will NOT satisfy the $200.00 non-refundable Advance Rent Payment requirement. You must ask the cashier to transfer $200.00 of your credit balance towards the Advance Rent Payment category. Please retain your receipt.
- Continuing students, NOT currently residing in the residence halls who do NOT have a Housing Application and $50 application fee on file, must submit both of these items as well as the $200.00 non-refundable Advanced Rent Payment in order to participate in the RSVP.
- Any outstanding balances on students’ accounts must be paid by the designated date as indicated by the university calendar to ensure that RSVP participants retain their Fall assignments.
- Fall housing charges and fees are due and payable before/or in accordance with the University calendar. These charges (housing & fees) must be paid in full at the time of registration.
- Students who fail to check-in by the date specified in the Residence Hall Agreement without prior notice to the Community Director of their assigned hall shall have their assignments canceled and thereby forfeit the $200.00 non-refundable Advance Rent Payment.
- Room charge adjustments for validated students who checkout of the residence halls are listed as follows in accordance with the university calendar:
ROOM CHARGE ADJUSTMENTS AND REFUND SCHEDULE
Checkout Period Charge Adjustment
Opening date thru 7th calendar day… $200+daily rate from opening date
8th thru 40th calendar day……..… 50% credit of the semester room rent
41st thru 60th calendar day……… 25%credit of the semester room rent
61st thru Hall Close Date……….. 0% credit of the semester room rent
II. Procedure for Participants
A. Sequence of Procedures
- Observe bulletin boards in your hall which will post information containing the date and times for online housing selections.
- If you are a student living off campus, you may submit any proof of community service or employment to the Office of Residence Life, located in the Tubman Quadrangle.
- The Room Selection and Verification Plan will use a point scale for consideration for housing for the upcoming academic year for all continuing students. The point scale will be capped at a maximum of 50 points per student. The categories are as follow:
B. Criteria for accumulation of points
1. Distance from campus will account for ten (10) points
- Students who reside within 25 miles of Howard University would receive 5 pts
- Students who reside more than 25 miles from Howard University would receive 10 pts
- International Students would receive an additional “credit” of 5 pts (Totaling 15 points)
NOTE: Actual distance will be determined by addresses listed in BANNER.
2. GPA will account for twenty (20) points
GPA would be calculated cumulatively from actual data available in BANNER, the point spread is as follow:
3.80-4.00 20 pts
3.50-3.79 18 pts
3.20-3.49 16 pts
3.00-3.19 14 pts
2.80-2.99 12 pts
2.60-2.79 10 pts
2.40-2.59 8 pts
2.20-2.39 6 pts
2.00-2.19 4 pts
0.00-1.99 2 pts
NOTE: GPA will be based cumulatively on grades through the Fall semester. Any new entrants to the University for the Spring semester will receive fifteen (15) points.
3. Classification (credit hours) will account for ten (10) points
Freshmen/Rising Sophomore (0-29) 10 pts
Sophomore/Rising Junior (30-59) 8 pts
Junior/Rising Senior (60-89) 6 pts
Senior/Continuing (90-above) 4 pts
4. Community Service/Student Involvement will account for ten (10) points
- Student members of recognized university organizations receive two (2) points per organization.
- Students who provide proof of employment would receive two (2) points per job.
- Students who provide proof of community based organization would receive (2) points per service project.
NOTE: The combination of all the above mentioned activities will not exceed ten (10) points total. Written verification will be required on official letterhead of any student wishing to receive credit for employment or volunteerism with a community based organization. The letter MUST contain the student name, HU ID number and contact information for the person providing the information. Any letter not containing this minimum information will not be considered. For students currently residing in residence halls, these letters must be turned in to their Community Director no later than the advertised date. Students who do not reside on campus must submit their letters to the Office of Residence Life no later than the advertised date.
5. Penalty Points
Students with documented disciplinary actions taken against them will in the residence halls lose two (2) points per infraction. (Hall Judiciary Council infractions, sanctions imposed by the Office of Residence Life, etc…)
| Student from Chicago, Illinois
| 3.0 GPA
| Sophomore/Rising Junior
| Community Service
| State Club member
| 1 noise violation
|| 34 points
C. Choosing a Residence Hall
Students participating in the Room Selection and Verification Plan who have less than forty-five (45) academic credits (not points) as of the advertised date will not be able to select the Howard Plaza Towers West for the upcoming Fall academic year.
D. Roommate Requests
Roommates: Students are required to submit a written request to the Community Director of the hall of which they select. These requests must be turned in by all parties interested in residing together. Roommate room assignments will be made at check-in. Roommate preference forms are available in the Office of Residence Life.
E. Exchange and Co-op Students
- Students who are currently away from the campus as participants in official Howard University exchange or co-op programs must participate in RSVP in order to attempt to secure housing for the Fall semester.
- Current students requesting Spring Semester housing only and are participating in an exchange or co-op program for the upcoming Fall Semester should coordinate their housing with their exchange/co-op coordinator.
F. Scholarship Recipients and Athletes
- All students including scholarship athletes and academic scholars who do not receive housing as a part of their scholarship and student staff must participate in the RSVP to receive housing for the Fall semester.
RSVP Final Reminders
These are some important reminders of the RSVP process:
- Students seeking to participate in RSVP are required to make a $200.00 non-refundable Advanced Rent Payment and sign a Residence Hall Agreement to confirm their housing assignment. All assignments generated by the RSVP are tentative and will not be confirmed unless an Agreement is signed.
- All students including non scholarship athletes/ student staff/ academic scholarship recipients must participate in the RSVP to receive housing for the Fall semester.
- By making a $200 non-refundable Advanced Rent Payment students are not guaranteed housing. Your Advanced Rent Payment affords you the opportunity to gather your points and compete for available housing. Participation in RSVP to secure housing is based on points; not when you pay your advanced rent payment.
- Only if you do not make a housing selection or are unable to make a selection will your Advanced Rent Payment be refunded.
- All students with housing assignments MUST be validated prior to moving into the residence halls. (Keys will not be issued to non-validated students.) Students NOT validated will not be guaranteed housing or their assignments.
In addition, have you done the following?
- Read this material carefully?
- Ensured that your community service and student employment information is turned in before the deadline?