Helpful Tips for
Graduates and Campus Guests
Commencement participants and guests are strongly encouraged to use public transportation when traveling to the May 9th event. The following transportation alternatives are offered:
- Metro Bus stops are located on Georgia Avenue at entry points to the campus.
- Purchase your Metro fare cards in advance, have roundtrip fare on your Metro fare card. This will reduce your wait time in lines to purchase fare cards for your return trip.
- Metro Subway -- The University will operate limited shuttle bus service from the Shaw-Howard University Metro Station stop to main campus prior to the beginning of the Commencement Convocation program. The Shaw/Howard University stop is on the Green Line and located just a few city blocks from our main campus.
- Metro Bus and Train Schedules can be obtained by calling 202-637-7000 or by accessing the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s website: www.wmata.com. You will need to provide your starting point/address and your destination ( Howard University, 2400 Georgia Avenue, NW).
- Taxicab Service is readily available in the Washington Metropolitan area. Either call ahead for service or flag a taxi on any major thoroughfare. When departing campus, the best location for flagging a taxi is from the Georgia Avenue side of our main campus.
- Street Parking is available in limited locations near Howard University. Please park legally, do not block entrances, driveways, or fire hydrants, and observe all parking regulations. Illegally parked cars are subject to ticketing and/or towing. Upper Campus Parking is limited and will not be permitted on Commencement Day. However, signs will be posted for directions to perimeter parking lots on the day of the event. The Howard Hospital parking garages, located at 4th & V Streets, NW, will also be available to early arriving guests. Shuttle bus service will be provided from University parking lots and the Hospital garages to the Commencement site.
- Note where you park (lot names, cross/adjacent street name and landmarks) so you do not spend unnecessary time walking around the neighborhood or a parking lot. Always lock your car doors (and buckle up). Never leave your keys in your car, whether you're at the gas station or in the parking lot. It's always a good safety measure to keep your house keys separate from your car keys.
- Keep your valuables out of sight ––under the seat, in the glove compartment, or in the trunk. For safety, do not keep your purse on the seat beside you. When returning to your vehicle, be alert with your car keys in hand to quickly unlock and enter your vehicle. Be aware of vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Weather Conditions – The weather is usually quite warm, particularly as guests are sitting on the Yard in direct sunlight. Guests should be made aware of this and be dressed accordingly. Guests are advised to check the projected weather forecast in advance of arriving on campus. Water is available for purchase and there is on-site emergency health care and restrooms.
ENJOY YOURSELF ! This will be a festive and memorable occasion for graduates and their families and friends. Walk purposefully, look confident, and wear your pride –– for you will be one of our special guests.