Student Phonemail Dialing Instructions
Note: By listening carefully, you will be prompted through each procedure.
Accessing a Locked Account
Note: For security purposes, users will be locked out of their account if they make 5 failed login attempts
- Call Voice Services Helpdesk 62955 option # 1 and request a voice mail reset.
- Telecommunications will reset the voice mailbox with the default password of 4723
- Dial the Phone Mail access number
- Dial your 5 digit extension number. (2 + the last 4 digits of your telephone number and then press #).
- Dial your new default password (4723) then press #.
- Follow the steps in number 3 above.
Personalize Your Phonemail Box
- Dial the direct access number for the Residence Hall that you are assigned:
26401 – Baldwin, Crandall, Frazier, Truth, Wheatley
26402 – Bethune, Cook, Drew
26403 – Carver, Mays, Meridian, Slowe
26404 – Towers-East, Towers-West
- Accessing Your Mailbox
- Dial the PhoneMail access telephone number.
- Dial your 5 digit extension number. 2 + last four digits of your telephone number then press #.
- Dial your password; your default password is 4723, then press #.
- To Change Your Password
- Press 9 for mailbox options.
- Press 3 to change your password.
- Enter your password. (4 to 9 digits)
- Re-enter your password for confirmation.
The next time you call voice mail you will use your new password
- Record Your Name
- Press 8
- Press 4 select record name
- Press 1 re-record
- Press *# for confirmation
- Record Your Personal Greeting
- Press 8
- Press 1 select Personal greeting
- Press 1 change greeting
- Press * # for confirmation
- To Retrieve Messages
- To retrieve your messages Press option 3.
- System will tell you how many messages you have.
- At the end of each message , you will be prompted to press 4 to SAVE or 6 to DELETE messages.
- To Send a Message
To Send a Message to another user of the PhoneMail system, dial the direct number that you were assigned. Enter your 5 digit telephone number then press #. And then enter your password followed by the #. From the Home State, select Option 1- To Record a Message. You follow the prompts to record a message. Press* then # when complete. Then you dial the destination number and press #.
The Howard University Telephone System installed in your Residence Hall allows you to call anywhere on the campus network by dialing 5 digits. To dial another Student dormitory room dial 2 + the last 4 digits of the telephone number. If the number you wish to call is an 806 exchange, dial 6 + the last 4 digits; if it’s an 865 exchange, dial 5 + the last 4 digits; if it’s a 238 or a 608 exchange, dial 8 +the last 4 digits. If you wish to call a Washington 884 exchange, dial 9 + 884 + the last 4 digits. To dial a local number outside the University dial 9 + (703, 301, 240) + the seven digits. To place a long distance call you must use a calling card.