In an effort to improve its emergency response procedures and personal safety, Howard University is implementing two University-wide systems, AlertHU and HU Guardian Service (HUGS). Both programs use systems developed by Rave Wireless, a well-respected leader in mobile safety.
|AlertHU is an improvement to an existing emergency notification program which allows the University to send time-sensitive notifications via voice, e-mail and text messaging.
||Howard University Guardian Service (HUGS)*, is a personal safety program that allows members of the Howard University Community to connect with and be monitored for safety by University police (HUPD).
|How It Works
||How It Works
In case of an emergency on or near campus, the following will be sent out immediately:
- An e-mail notification to the e-mail address you provided.
- A text message to the mobile phone you provided.
- In some cases, a voice message to the phone numbers you provided.
Notifications will be limited to emergencies involving events such as severe weather, building concerns, intruders, and potential pandemics. The University will test the system periodically.
HU Guardian is activated by placing a Panic Call to University Police (HUPD) or by initializing a timer.
How the timer works:
- Before traveling from one place to another, such as walking home at night, a user activates the Guardian timer on their mobile phone.
- If the timer expires (or the user initiates their HUGS Panic Call Button), HUPD is immediately notified with detailed case information.
- When the user reaches their destination safely, they deactivate their Guardian timer and HUPD is not alerted.
How To Register
Before you start, you will need access to your Howard University-issued E-mail Address, which is used to create and maintain your account. Make sure that you can access your Howard e-mail account prior to attempting to register.
- Create your account here using your HU-issued e-mail address.
- Confirm your mobile number.
- Set-up Guardian Profile (optional).
* HU Guardian is not an extended personal tracking device. Your location will only be known to HUPD when there is a failure to deactivate the Guardian timer or the Panic Button is activated. Abuse of the system will not be tolerated. The Panic Button is to be used for immediate emergencies only.